Chevra Kadisha - The Ceremonial Hall
Permanent exhibition of drawings and poetry of the children who were incarcerated at Terezin concentration camp
Chevra Kadisha Building, u. Stareho Hrbitova, Prague.
The Chevra Kadisha building, to the right of the entrance to the Old Jewish Cemetery, once served as a mortuary at which the famous Burial Brotherhood Society of Prague, founded in Prague in the 16th century by the Rabbi Loew, used to meet. The Society attended the body of the dead for the hours before burial and delivered the oration from the small side balcony.
The Chevra Kadisha building currently holds a permanent exhibition of the drawings and poetry of the children who were incarcerated at Terezin, or as the German's called it, Theresienstadt, a ghetto/concentration camp 35 miles to the Northeast of Prague
The majority of the Terezin children's material was created under the supervision of an established painter, Friedl Dicker Brandejsova, to whom the children went to for lessons. Altogether 4,000 drawings survived, along with
excerpts from illegal magazines published by the children in the camp. The building itself was built in 1911-1912 in pseudo-Romanesque style .